Hello classmates. This week I'm going to write about a piece of art I like.
There are many paintings and sculptures I like, especially those related to Greek mythology and Arthurian legends, developed in the Victorian Era (as usual).
But I have to choose only one of these wonders, so it's an oil-on-canvas painting named "The Lady of Shalott", by John William Waterhouse, made in 1888.
![]() |
| "The Lady of Shalott", by John William Waterhouse. |
This piece of art is inspired by a poem of the same name from Lord Tennyson (and the poem is based on the story of Elaine of Astolat).
But let me tell you the story of The Lady of Shalott... According to the Arthurian legend, the Lady of Shalott was doomed to look at the world outside her castle through a mirror, and to weave what she saw into a tapestry. She was forbidden to look at the outside world directly. One day, the Lady of Shalott saw Sir Lancelot passing on his way in the reflection of the mirror... She fell in love instantly, and dared to look out at Camelot, bringing about her curse. The lady escaped by boat during an autumn storm and sang her death song as she drifted down the river to Camelot. Her frozen body was found by the knights and ladies of Camelot, one of whom was Lancelot, who prayed to God to have mercy on her soul.
![]() |
| Here is a portrait of Waterhouse, painting "Lamia" |
This painting is one of the most popular of the Pre-Raphaelite style. Now it's located in Tate Britain Gallery, London (as "Ophelia", by Sir John Everett Millais, one of my favourites too).
![]() |
| "Ophelia", by John Everett Millais |
I would love to see these paintings someday.





Publicar un comentario